Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In The Shadow of Wallace Stegner

It has been over a month since my last blog and so much has happened. Which is why its been over a month since I've written. I went to Maggot Fest in Missoula, MT and walked away with a bunch of pictures of naked butts and an idea for a screenplay. I came home on Thursday May 7th at 1PM. I was in the hospital the next morning at 10:00AM with my poor husband. He was having the kidney stone attack from hell! One coming out of each kidney! The next two weeks saw him going through 2 surgeries (one a week), a couple of trips BACK to the emergency room due to pain, and many sleepless nights. Finally, the damn things passed!
In the meantime: I had brought back 8 tomatoe plants from eastern Washington that I kept alive in our office, till I could bust out some sod and create a garden space. I'll will tell more on these adventures later. Today is just a moment to get back into the habit of writing.
I just finished reading "All the Little Live Things" by Wallace Stegner. I love this writer. Sometimes his writing is so beautiful I feel I have to read it out of the corner of my eye. Like sneaking quietly up on his words so they don't bound away like deers into a thick wood. His writing inspires me. The shadows of his words are like sitting under a tree on a hot summer day; where the earth is cool and you are protected from the burning rays of the sun. So, I'm taking a moment on this fresh morning, after the first cup of coffee to write and be thankful that the past few weeks are done and to get back into the habit of writing.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful entry...but I must say....
    Habit? Sis do your damn job!

    love,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear your voice while reading this. Love it!

    amy a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debz, keep this up, you reminded me why I love to read and shamed me for not doing it much anymore.

    ReplyDelete