Sunday, June 28, 2009

Two steps forward...one step back

Okay, I've had a very weird 48 hours: a mini series of heighten emotions. On Thursday I found out that I had made it through the first round of cuts for the Page International Screenwriting Competition! Big Hurrah! Page had over 4,000 scripts entered and mine was part of the top 25% that advanced. I'll find out if I made it further next Wednesday.
On Friday morning I met with a very cool illustrator who is going to make ZOMBIE JESUS into a graphic novel. Perfect! I can totally picture that script in drawn panels!
Then, I got a call from my ex-boss to let me know that his bosses won't let him hire me. They like the idea of getting me back, but they have a hiring freeze in effect so "no" to the idea of slipping me in to fill a vacant place. Major disappointment!
I know I can get my unemployment extended, but this not being able to get a job is very weird! However, as I read back over this blog I know what I have to do: send out my scripts to more and more competitions! If the thing I'm getting the most positive feedback for is my writing, then I need to pursue that way more actively.
It has been a very big up and down few hours, but the best part to see is that people are responding to my writing. So, I start at square one for my "job", but I'm moving forward on what I really want as a profession: getting paid for writing!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get your dream job of being paid for writing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how did it go?

    Fantabulous, I hope!

    :)

    ReplyDelete