Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Background

By September of last year I was still having a period that began in July. I had also nicknamed the tumor Hector aka Rosemary's Baby. My doctor tried everything, but was unable to stop the periods or the pain. She looked at me and said: "What ever happened to that nice little uterus I knew." She agreed that it was time for a hysterectomy and we set a date in December.

To help the time go by, I had a uterus coming out party. I figured it was time to celebrate Hector's demise. I kicked my husband out of the house and invited my girlfriends over to a night of wine, whiskey and chocolate cake. My very creative friend Dana, brought over walnuts (which were approximately the size of my tumor) and with glue, string, various fabric and funny eyes, we set out to make our own interpretation of what my tumor looked like. When my husband returned at one O'clock he found about a dozen little Hectors on the table staring up at him.

By December 2nd I was ready for my hysterectomy. My doctor assured me that morning that "One way or another, that uterus is coming out today!" My doctor tried to take my uterus out vaginally, but the damn thing wouldn't budge. So an hour and a half into the surgery she had to switch to cutting me open. The operation took around 3 hours, but it was out! When the results came back from pathology I had a total of 4 non-cancerous tumors in my uterus. Seems Hector was having his own party.

No comments:

Post a Comment