Monday, February 2, 2009

How the hell do you do this?

Okay, I'm working on my first blog attempt. I've gone through the whole "its so easy" thing and am now writing. I'm going to follow my own process as I work on my screenplays and figure out my life in this new year. I voiced to my husband that I would like to blog, so he pulled up all the information to help inspire me i.e. called my bluff.

My life over the past year has changed a lot. At the beginning of the year I worked in a bakery that was in a natural foods grocery store, I was the manager and wrote on the side. I was the primary money earner for several years while my husband went to school. We decided that once he had finished school, it would be my turn to get a new job, one not so physically demanding, and hopefully, one that would give me time to write. Though I loved baking and the people, after a 8-9 hour day of hefting 50 lbs flour bags and hand forming artisan breads, I had very little energy at the end of the day to write. Plus I had Sunday and Monday off, so my husband and I only got 1 day off together.

In August of 07 my husband finished school and got a job In January of 08, I started to look for new work I wasn't sure what kind of job I could get, I just knew I wanted something with regular hours and weekends off to spend with my husband. I lucked into a recruiter who looked at my resume and put me forward for a job doing customer development for a stainless steel and aluminum distribution center. All I had to do was call existing customers and see if they needed anything and research new customers. I started work in March of 2008. The job was wonderful and so were the people.

Its funny but I could be more myself at this job then working in the natural grocery store. Here I could talk about shooting guns, canning foods, writing and generally just be myself. At the natural grocery store I kept a lot to myself, particularly things like enjoying shooting guns. The other amazing thing about this job was "paid holidays!" I was in retail for 14 years so I never knew about such a thing as having the Fourth of July off paid, or Memorial Day or almost any other holiday. I did have Christmas Day off and Thanksgiving Day, but the amount of work in a bakery before major food holidays left me pretty dang tired.

Working at the stainless steel place was amazing! Not only could I talk about guns, I actually called local gun manufacturers and set up accounts with a couple. I got to speak to folks in aerospace so the geek side of my nature got nurtured. I had a whole hour lunch in which I could work on my writing, and if this wasn't enough I wasn't tired at the end of the day AND I left the job at work! No late night calls from sick workers, no worries about production levels. This job was pretty much heaven to me!

The new job was great, time off with my husband was great, then in June I started to have some pretty bad periods. The pain got worse and worse, till my Doctor finally suggested an ultrasound so they could look for fibrous tumors. That night, after my doctor's appointment, I was hospitalized because the pain was so bad. Seems like my very sensible body decided to get rid of the tumor. Basically, I went into labor while my body struggled to expel the tumor. The tumor was located in my uteruin lining, so it was the equivalent of my body trying to turn itself inside out.

I was worried about talking to my new boss about this, he's a great guy, but here I was in a more male dominate environment having something this intensely female happen to me. I went into the office of my boss with my note from the hospital, he looked at me and said "I had a female friend, she had something similar, it was fibrous tumors." I smiled and said "Exactly". My boss nodded and he said "I got it, we don't have to talk about it anymore, whatever you need to do. Don't worry about a thing, just take care of yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment